Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Wintery Wood Elves


After years of piecing together an Orcs and Goblins army, I learned some things about my painting abilities and preferences.
1. I am sick of painting everything green.
2. I want to switch it up and do a winter theme.
3. most importantly - I learned to paint from above the table, or what I
think of as "painting from a distance".
I would spend hours painting the O&G and tediously. I tried to paint every detail, and would paint the model right in front of my face. Then I played with the models and couldn't see any of my detailing during the actual game. I realized that contrast matters more than detail from a distance. Painting for contrast also doesn't require tons of layering highlights, inking, and dry brushing. You can do it, but instead of 12-15 steps, I hope to paint most of my new models in 3 or 4 steps. I think I am learning to be a more efficient painter. Pictured above: general on dragon. Just getting started on him.

2 comments:

The Great One said...

General on dragon looks great. I feel a special pride in seeing both my models put to good use. how are you attaching your guy to the dragon???

good points on painting from above. I need to convince myself to do this.

B

Pc Box said...

The blue/white of the dragon looks really sweet.